Stems for Strangers has slowed to make space for the rest of our Kickstarter rewards. To be honest, this video itself is super delayed. I took this on my walk to, during, and walk home from a meet and greet with Outschool.com, a company I work with to bring the lost language of flowers to kids. That was a couple weeks ago now!
That was a good experience. As you can see from the video, everyone was happy to get their gift (a lot more wanted these special meaning-imbued flowers than were willing to show up on camera!)
There isn't a video of it, but I also went to the Financial District to spread the flower love in the past couple weeks. That was a more challenging experience. Not a single person on the street would even TAKE a flower! It was a little disheartening, to tell the truth. My step-mom actually was sweet enough to join me for that experience, and she think we'd have a better shot if we stood on the corner with a basket filled with flowers and let people come to us. I think it's worth a shot.
Until next time, a challenge (and a prize!) for you to start spreading some love, fun and connection yourself!
- Pick/buy a single stem of any flower
- Look up its meanings in our flower meaning database
- Pick a meaning to imbue it with
- Hold it in your hand and say the meaning in your head.
- Present the imbued flower to someone. Preferably a stranger! Say, "This is the gift of ___________, according to the lost language of flowers."
- Ask them if you can film them receiving the flower (Yeah, that probably means you'll have to do it all over again. It's quick!)
- Post the video to Instagram with a caption that includes "Using the lost language of flowers to spread more love/fun/connection" (you can also just choose one of the three-- love, fun or connection) and tag @bloomequation. Alternatively, post it to Facebook (same caption) and tag our page, The Bloom Equation.
- We'll contact you within the week to let you choose your prize!
Love to you all!